Friday, June 5, 2009

Wheelchair & Preschool Update

I have spent a better part of this week working out some major details for funding for Karter. First off, his wheelchair does not appear to be covered 100% by the At Home Program. There is $1800 over and above the authorization, that we will need to cover. This is the best chair for Karter and so we are going to order it and sort out funding in the meantime.

I am first looking into our extended benefits to see if they will cover the top up amount for the chair. If that does not pan out, I will be applying to President's Choice Children's Charity for the funds. Obviously, if they cannot cover the amount, we will have to fund it ourselves. We are trusting the Lord for the funds to fall into place and will be, in faith, ordering the chair next week when Karter's rep returns from his time off. The company that we are ordering the chair from, will not require full payment from us, until the delivery date which is about 4-6 weeks. That should give me time to solidify the funds.

Secondly, I am working through the funding process for Karter for a one to one support for preschool. As of July 11th, Karter's birthday, he is eligible for one to one support through Supported Child Development, however because of lack of funds, Karter will be unable to access that option. This is mainly due to the fact that the government has not increased childcare funding for our area, to match the increased population. This is so frustrating for us because Karter cannot go to preschool without one to one support.

So my course of action, as Karter's advocate, is two fold. First off, I am in the process of applying to Variety Children's Charity for the funding to cover a one to one support worker for him. I have chatted, in length with a senior member on the application review committee. She has given me a lot of great answers and ideas on how to complete my application; what letters to include and things to write in my application to make it as complete and concise as possible. Secondly, I have contacted our MLA, Mary Polak with our concerns about funding and wait lists for Karter's one to one support.

This is all new territory for me. Please join us in praying for provision and open doors. We are trusting that all things will fall into place for September for Karter to attend preschool at Sunbeam, as well as with his wheelchair.

1 comment:

Jason and Kristin said...

Wow - so much to consider! We will be praying with you, as always! He will be in preschool in September, I know it! And he'll be the handsomest little dude there in his cool chair :)