Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Update on Karter February 5th, 2007

Anyhow, I called Children's hospital today becasue Karter's Epileptologist (head of Epilepsy surgery) returned today from holidays. I was suppose to call so that they knew how he was doing so they could make a final decision in regards to surgery on the 27th of this month.

Well today is 22 days with only one very small seizure. I told them that he is reagining a lot of his milesotnes and that we are feeling very good about his progress this far. I expressed my desire to not go ahead with surgery at this time. I did let her know that I would like to hear form the doctor as to what she would recommend at this time. If she would recommend surgery still at the end of the month I have told the nurse that I wanted the doctor to see Karter and that I would want some tests done first before we would even feel comfortable considering it at this time. We don't want to put him through something this major if it is not needed.

It sounds like they will repeat the EEG in a few weeks just to make sure there is not something going on that we are not seeing. His last EEG showed that the Spasms had stopped and also told us that the seizures that we were seeing were the only ones that he was having, meaning there was nothing going on in his brain that could not be seen by the naked eye. She did mention however that his EEG was still abnormal indicating and allowing them to still diagnose him with a seizure disorder. It made me happy to hear that there was a way through EEG that we could tell if things had changed completely with his condition. So I would ask that you pray that if and when we go for the EEG that it be shown that it is no longer abnormal confirming what we believe in our hearts to be complete healing in Karter's brain.

At the beginning of this whole journey before there was a definitive reason for the siezures, we were told that it was a possibility that Karter could outgrow this. I asked today if that was still a possibility. I was told that likely surgery, if postponed now, would probably be something that would be needed at some point and that it is unlikely that the seizures would disappear, especially since he was so hard to get undercontrol with medications from the start. I was happy to hear this because now we have expectaions for God to shatter. We are able then to pray specifically against what is clinically an outcome for Karter. Already we have seen miracles, the spasms were not suppose to come under control, not alone disappear completely. Also, we are still only on 1/2 a tablet twice a day down from teh six medications just over a month ago and we are seeing no seizures. Praise the Lord for He is good!

It will be a day or so before we hear back from the doctor, just keep checking this blog as I will keep posting Karter's results and updates here.

No comments: