Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Remembering Sharon



I attended Sharon's memorial this afternoon. There are so many things I could say and at the same time, I am at a loss for words, heavy hearted and so deeply touched.

Sharon left behind a loving husband, and two beautiful small children. As they walk down that isle at the start of the service, my heart broke for them. For the many times throughout their life when they will journey without a mommy to hold their hand and share in the triumphs of life. And a husband that now needs to figure out how to be a daddy and a mommy. I cannot fathom the deep sorrow, the anger, the emotion.

Today has been a day full of reflection. I am full of thanks and fully aware of the amazing blessings that adorn every day of my life; my two beautiful children - my most precious gits from heaven. My amazing and loving husband, whom I would never want to do life without. Our health, our friends, our family, I could go on and on.

Still I sit here numb. Not that I have not been touched by death before, but somehow this feels so different. Is is the fact that it was so sudden? Or maybe that she is not much further on in life as I am? Is it that she has kids that are so young? I am not sure. But the reality of how fragile life is seems to be at the forefront of my mind. We need to live today to the fullest, becuase tomorrow may look so different. Not that we need to live life in fear of that daily. But rather live today in a way that makes tomorrow seem like a distant reality. Live today to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it.

Sharon's husband shared so profoundly. He talked about how we can take for granted the time we have. So take time today to say I love you, to give a hug, to spend time with your kids, be passionate, to talk with your spouse, to tell someone how you feel etc. Don't waste the day thinking you will do it later. For some, later never comes.

Sharon was a vivacious woman. Fun loving, passionate about a lot of things. Caring and kind. She was an encourager. She was smart. She loved her family - her children were her pride and joy. She gave of herself to so many. Sharon, I wish you could have known how many lives you touched.

Sharon had been part of our lives since Karter was 5 months old, as our Infant Development consultant. Paige remembers Sharon as 'the lady with the bag of toys'. Every visit she would bring a bag of toys for Karter to play with. There were always strategically placed toys in that bag just for Paige. She also loved that Sharon 'came to play'. Karter will remember the songs, the cuddles, the games and the huge smiles. Sharon, I will remember you as a friend. As much as you were here to support Karter, you were here for me too. You always took the time to focus in on the great things Karter had accomplished. Though they were small and almost unnoticable to many, you always saw them (sometimes before I even did). And you never failed to tell me I was doing a good job - those words were such life to me, they got me through many tough days. We shared lots of laughs, some frustrations and at times even tears. I just hope you knew that you too did such a great job. We will miss you dearly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered posting this on Sharon's online memorial? the pic too? it would be nice.

Lori F.