Saturday, May 9, 2009

May Update

Wow, how time flies! I realized it was time to give you an update. And since I spent a bit of time updating our family blog with all of Paige's activities, it was time to do the same for Karter.

Praise The Lord! We are almost 2 1/2 weeks seizure free! This is the longest Karter has gone without a seizure since September. After increasing his medication at the end of March, the seizures decreased in frequency and within a few week disappeared completely.

We have not heard anything from Children's in way of the Spect Scan. I plan to call this week and see what the plan is. Without the presence of frequent seizures, I am not sure how they go about inducing them for the scan. I will be honest when I say, I am not overly excited about taking him off his medication prior to the test. He has been so tricky to control with medication. I feel that it might be difficult to just put him back on the meds without seeing the seizures resurface. However, we trust that God has it all under control. We will continue to submit to the doctors care. We trust that they have been put in Karter's life by divine appointment. There is nothing to fear but fear itself, isn't that correct?

Horseback riding started up again mid April. Karter has been really enjoying the Spring session. Now that the weather has changed a bit, it is not so cold; I think that has helped. He will ride until June 18th and then take a break for the summer, resuming riding in September.

Karter is still gaining weight. We think he is about 29 or 30 pounds. Such a far cry from the 22 1/2 pounds he was in January. He has really started to fill out. We are really thankful for this. With the additional weight, it has become increasingly hard to carry him around. Our hope is that approval for the wheelchair comes through quickly. We would appreciate your continued prayers about that.

On a sad note, this week we heard the shocking news that Karters IDP (Infant Development) consultant suddenly passed away. Sharon, has been our consultant since Karter was 5 1/2 months old. She visited us on a bi-monthly and monthly basis over the past two years. She was the one took care of Karter's "case". She made sure that we recevied the proper support from physio, occupational therapy, speech therapy and other outside sources. She was our support and our advocate. We shared many tears, lots of great milestones and many fun times sharing about our kids and various other things. We are greatly saddened by her sudden passing. Sharon leaves behind a husband and two children; a little girl Paige's age and a son who is 6. My heart breaks to think that those precious little ones will now grow up without a Mother. Please pray for the family, they really need the covering right now.

Although I was very candid with Sharon about our stand of faith with Karter, I never had an actual opportunity to share the gospel with her. I had invited Sharon to the production and we had talked about church a bit. This has been a real eye opener for me. There are so many people that walk through the door of our home on a weekly basis, in support of Karter. I don't want to take for granted that I just need their support. I too can share with them about where I find my source of strength.

I am constantly reminded, of late, about my circle of influence. I find it so astounding the way God gently guides the rapids of our life and marks the course for things that we may never have imagined or given thought to. He is so amazing!

1 comment:

Violet N. said...

The seizure-free news is so great! But sad to hear of Sharon's passing. She sounds like such a young woman - which makes it all the more shocking. It's a sobering reminder that tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us.