Thursday, July 24, 2008

Some thoughts...

Paige is out in the boat with Kurt and Grandpa this evening and Karter's schedule was a little different today. So I was left with a luxury I do not usually have...time to myself.

Instead of finishing the upstairs vacuuming and the laundry, I took some time to listen to a message online. The message was about persistence. Oh, how I was encouraged. I wanted to leave you with some thoughts that I took away. But first I will start with this -

You all have read along and some of you, walked along, this journey with Karter. You know that we stand on the promise that our son will be well. In spite of the things that are told to us by man, we believe in something much bigger. Call us disillusioned, crazy, in denial, whatever you will. This hope and faith is what gets us through from one day to the next. And if nothing else, it is what sustains us to keep pressing forward and not crumble on the floor.

I was talking with someone last week, she was telling me how she viewed how we walked this journey. She was commenting on our strength and the fact that God chose us because we were the only ones that they know that could have handled this. I thanked her for her comments, but quickly refuted them. I went on to tell her that people see the good in all of this. After I have filtered my feelings and emotions, got a handle on it and put my logical plan into action. People do not see the tears or angry words I speak to God. (oh yes there are some) The ultimatums I have made, the promises etc. I don't post those kinds of things here, for obvious reasons. But in those times, I always seem to come through with a stronger handle on who I am in Christ, and stronger faith in what God has promised me in His word.

I will tell you this, last week, I was angry with God. I asked Him to show me something, some kind of glimpse into what is to come with Karter. I know that faith is putting our thoughts and hopes in what is unseen, but I have done that for so long that I felt I did not have it anymore. I need to see something...after all, I am human!

So tonight as I listened to this message this is what I took away from it. The speaker was saying that some breakthroughs, some healing etc, come easy. We ask...we receive...period. And then there are others that come through persistence.

In the bible, Hannah prayed for years with persistence, for a child. When she woke, it was the first thing on her mind...she prayed. In the night, when she was unable to sleep...she prayed. She went through the day and thought of it...she prayed. Every breath she prayed for her need. It was that supernatural persistence, (years in her case) that brought her a child.

"Persistence is locking into something that you KNOW is the will of God". Wow that was a powerful statement for me! Locking into it... persisting...everyday, with every extra breath...every moment I think about it..persisting...

"Some breakthroughs come through friendship, some breakthroughs come through divine justice. Other breakthroughs come through nothing but a well you can touch only through sacrificial persistence"

The pastor left the congregation with Psalms 27. He said that he felt the Lord told him to tell the church that "this will feed you when you need an answer. Look to it often. This will supply what you need, take it and feed your soul"

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?



When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes,
came upon me to eat up my flesh,
they stumbled and fell.


Though a host should encamp against me,
my heart shall not fear:
though war should rise against me,
in this will I be confident.


One thing have I desired of the LORD,
that will I seek after;
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to behold the beauty of the LORD,
and to inquire in his temple.



For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion:
in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me;
he shall set me up upon a rock.



And now shall mine head be lifted up
above mine enemies round about me:
therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy;
I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.



Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice:
have mercy also upon me, and answer me.



When thou saidst, Seek ye my face;
my heart said unto thee,
Thy face, LORD, will I seek.


Hide not thy face far from me;
put not thy servant away in anger:
thou hast been my help;
leave me not, neither forsake me,
O God of my salvation.


When my father and my mother forsake me,
then the LORD will take me up.


Teach me thy way, O LORD,
and lead me in a plain path,
because of mine enemies.


Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies:
for false witnesses are risen up against me,
and such as breathe out cruelty.


I had fainted, unless I had believed
to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.


Wait on the LORD:
be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart:
wait, I say, on the LORD.


So I leave you with this... Are you needing breakthrough? Do you feel like God does not hear you or that He is choosing not to answer your prayers? Be persistent! This may not be one of those things that come easy. I know our answer for Karter has not come easy. BUT I do know this, I am prepared to be patient (as much as it kills me to do so) and to tap into that well of supernatural persisitence

1 comment:

Tawn said...

so powerful, Char. Your honesty touches many.

xo