Sunday, May 11, 2008

Giving...

The definition of giving is: to present voluntarily and without expecting compensation, to relinquish or sacrifice, to place in someones care.

The synonyms of giving are: bestowal, donation; presentation, accordance; concession; delivery, consignment, dispensation, communication, endowment; investment,award.


This past two weeks has really put us on the other side of giving...the receiving side. I shared with you about the real life "angel". In the past post, I also mentioned how that gift came at a real time of seeking God and asking for Him to bestow good things upon us. I was starting to feel weighed down by the sad things that were coming our way. But in this past few weeks, I have really started to live out and see that our God is a God who gives good things. He wants us to receive good things of and from Him.

I LOVE to give gifts. For me, it is one of my biggest love languages. If you are like me, you know that it is really hard to receive things. It feels great giving to others, but when others reciprocate back, you don't know how to respond.

In the past 18 months I have been offered help on a number of occasions. After Karter's surgery people brought us meals for two weeks, people have offered to care for our kids, to come and help with Karter's physio etc. I am learning that accepting these gifts, as hard as it can be, is really what God expects me to do. The giver has responded to the prompting that the Lord has put on their hearts and they in turn, are responding to the need that deep down I have asked God for. So in not accepting the gift, I am not honoring the giver. Even though I know this in my head, it is still such a struggle for me to just say "Thank you".

Since the last post, we have had two other beautiful gifts come our way. The first from a couple who is close to us. They came by the other night to bring a card and a gift certificate for a night out as well as babysitting for that night. They really felt that Kurt & I needed a night out together. Which was how we were feeling too (I took Kurt away for two nights for that very reason). Upon arriving home for our much needed retreat, in the mail, was a card and another dinner gift certificate from another couple we know. Literally, Kurt and I stared at each other, no words to express, just pure gratitude and awe.

So we are learning to receive. And God, in His infinite wisdom is allowing us to learn this at a time when we need it the most. My encouragement to you is this, take the time to give. But more than that, let the giving be a sacrifice. If giving of your money is not really a sacrifice, then give of your self or of your time. Because know this, in your time of great need, you will have the opportunity to receive. And hard as it is, and as uncomfortable as it is, it sure makes you feel loved, appreciated and well take care of by others and mostly by our Heavenly Father.

To those of you who have given to us in all your various ways, through prayer, through your love and support or by your gifts; simply "Thank you".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are blessed by this gift we have given you. We love you, Kurt and the kids.
You're so welcome. Enjoy it.
As I felt lead to give you that gift even before I knew of the other "angel" so thank you for allowing us to bless you.

M&J ;)