Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Today's update

I am not sure if I mentioned dn a previous post about the "At Home Program" or not. In any case, we applied about 3 weeks ago to get Karter on this government assisted program. It provides funding in two parts, medical (which would cover the costs of equipment he will need and prescriptions he needs) and respite ($ to cover any extra care expenses we have for him).

When I applied, I was told the wait time is anywhere from 3-6 months, for approval. I was also told not to be discouraged as most people can be turned down the first time. Basically, to qualify fully, you need to have dependencies in 4 areas. Toileting, feeding, dressings and bathing. Motor skills are considered after those criteria are assessed. Where Karter is dependant in all those areas, the program does not recognize dependence in toileting or bathing under the age of three. So he only meets two out of four criteria. That may get us one part of the funding but possibly not the full funding.

In any event, I write to you today fairly hopeful. Within 1 week of the receipt of our application, I had a call from the "At Home" committee liaison. Two days after that I had a call from the nurse that comes to do a home visit. Today she completed our visit. There is a meeting on the 1st of April that will determine Karter's eligibility for the program. She let me know that we should know in about 2-3 weeks what the outcome of our application is.

From a wait time of 3-6 months to about 5-6 weeks, we are thankful. Our prayer is that there will be favor for Karter and that we will not be turned down or only qualify for one part of the program. The wait time to re-apply is one year. So we are asking that you join us in bathing this meeting in prayer and that favor will be all over this.

This is a tough step for us as we come to grips with the reality that from a medical standpoint, Karter will require equipment to aid in his daily life. We wrestle in our hearts daily between medicine and God's divine intervention. We continue to believe for great things for Karter and feel as his parents that we will advocate for the best possible care for him until we see he no longer requires the need for assistance.

Please pray for us as we venture on this next leg of our faith journey. We have come to a place in our travels where we really have to step out and test the idea that faith is believing in what we do not see. I cannot tell you the inner battle this has become for me. I wrestle daily with doubt and fear and then on the flip side with joy and peace. It is such a paradox of feeling and emotions that go through my brain. Please pray for me that I will not be consumed by over thinking things, as I can so easily do.

To God be the Glory! That is what we want, for Him to be glorified in this. I claim that there will be a day when we will look back at these insurmountable obstacles and say "God brought us through and we stand here with our miracle!"

Thanks again for your support. I just mentioned to someone the other day that some people look for a lifetime for one good friend, but we are blessed with an army of them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Faith comes in many different sizes to each of us is given a measure of faith and our everyday circumstances is what will build faith in us. We believe that God has a plan for Karter and that no circumstance or set back or road block can prevent God's plans from being fulfilled in Karter's life. Someday it seems like we have mountain moving faith and other days our faith seems smaller than a mustard seed and that is what is so amazing about the family of God because on a day when your faith is wavering I can carry you and on a day when my faith is wavering you can carry me and together we will finish this race and see a great victory in all of us. In the meantime we will pray and God will do more than we can think or imagine. Love you guys Diane