Friday, January 7, 2011

Sun Peaks - Skiing

Karter has had the amazing opportunity to 'ski' here at Sun Peaks. Last year when we were here, we had been told that they had skiing for people with disabilities. After looking into it, we registered Karter with Disabled Skiing BC . Once he was registered, we were able to access the adaptive skiing here at Sun Peaks (and other mountains in our area).

Because Karter is unable to walk on his own, they have a great piece of equipment called a 'sit ski'. I allows him to sit in a seat that is set on skis and then a volunteer skis with him down the hill. I was excited that Karter would get a chance to ski, but was not sure if he would enjoy it or not.

I made sure he was bundled up real warm...looking back, I think I did too good a job since he was so cozy and warm that he slept every time they took him up the moving carpet to get him to the top of the hill ;-). He would wake each time it was time go go down the hill. He did not cry or whine at all. I think he really enjoyed it. The volunteer told me that at the bottom of the hill he was making sounds...that usually means he likes something!

Karter skied a total of 90 minutes...which is double the length I thought he would last the first time. He probably could have gone longer but we wanted to end on a high note. He will ski tomorrow and Sunday again. They told me they would take him on the chair lift this time. He is going to LOVE that ride. I got some video that I will post later. For now, here are some pictures.


Karter with the two volunteers Dick & Tim


On the moving carpet on the way up the hill


Totally asleep...I mean COMPLETELY OUT!


Getting ready to dismount the carpet and get skiing


Just before the first run


Paige and Tias came and posed with Karter. Paige was so excited for Karter...maybe proud is a better word!

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Way to go Karter, and way to go K&C for letting your child ride down a hill, my stomach would just be in knots thinking about it!