Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Welcome 2008!

I am so looking forward to 2008! I think I mentioned in a previous post, 2008 has been deemed the year of "reclaiming what has been lost". Kurt and I have a real fire in us to go full steam ahead on Karter's behalf. We have decided to pursue the idea of intensive therapy for Karter. He has been receiving therapy two to three times per month, but we are looking into something a bit more regular and intensive for him. If we do pursue this, we will most likely have to find a way to come up with the funds to do this on our own. Please pray with us as we seek out this avenue. We want the right person for Karter as well as we need to be creative about how we fund the therapy. I am looking into some charity's that give grants to families and will start filling out applications as soon as my research is complete.

We have an appointment at Children's hospital tomorrow at 3:20. We will be meeting with Dr's Conoly and Steinbok. They will be seeing Karter right after a Neurology conference focused on him. His case will be brought to two other neurologists for consult. His last EEG and MRI will be discussed as well as recommendation made for future treatments, the possibility of surgery included.

I feel both excited and anxious about the appointment. As time moves on, I find myself not as scared about the possibility of a grim report. It seems that time has been a real source of comfort for me. Time to process the "what ifs", "worst case scenarios" and future outcomes for Karter. Don't get me wrong, I am not giving up and saying "this is as good as it gets" but I do feel like if Karter's normal looks a bit different than Paige's normal, that is ok. We will walk out each day aiming to push Karter to the best he can be and we will work to provide the best therapy and medical attention that we can. But in the end, God is still in control and He knows the ultimate plan for Karter's life.

We continue to walk out each day living in the joy of the blessings that it may bring. Karter is doing well. He is moving forward, maybe not as fast as we would have hoped, but we continue to notice new things all the time.

So tomorrow is a BIG day for us. We feel like it is the day where we will receive word about what is really going on with Karter's Epilepsy and what is happening in his brain, post surgery. Kurtis and I will be privy to his last MRI. The surgeon will show that to us and go through it with us. I am looking forward to that. We assume that the discussion will come up about further surgery and we will voice our questions about that and hopefully get answers that will help us make a well informed decision about whether to go ahead with it or not, if that is a possible treatment option for Karter.

We will also discuss with them our intent for intensive therapy. They may have something they can offer us that would not cost us money out of pocket. Also, we are wanting their take on whether or not more therapy is something that is of significant worth for Karter. We are hoping that tomorrows appointment will give us a starting place for the year.

My hope is that this is the year we can exhaust every medical possibility for Karter. That we can get a handle on his condition and get him on a road to recovery. By January of 2009, my hope is that our visits to Children's will be merely routine check ups to revel in how well he is doing.

We continue to leave room for God to work in Karter's little life. We have not walked this journey without God so closely walking beside us and without His gracious hand comforting and guiding us. For that...we are SO thankful.

I will update as soon as I can after returning from Children's, most likely not until Thursday though. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. We love and care for all of you and depend on your support daily.

3 comments:

Estelle said...

Hi Charlene,
I don't know if you read my comment on your last post but if you would like more information about the charities and grants out there available to you I would be happy to outline them to you and even drop some info off in the mail. Just drop me an email:
estellegre@yahoo.com

Estelle said...

I can also let you know of some excellent private therapists in the area if you don't already have some contacts

Anonymous said...

We are still with you in prayer and love you guys.