Monday, June 18, 2007

It's been a month since surgery

It is hard for me to believe that the time has flown by so quickly. Last Friday was four weeks since Karter's surgery. It really feels like I have a lot to share this week.

First of all we are so thankful that Karter is officially on the IDP (Infant Development) case load. I got a call from our Supported Childcare consultant, Sharron, last week. Karter has been on the waitlist since November. He has been receiving weekly physio visits through the program while we have been on the wait list, however, with this new development, we can now access more resources on Karter's behalf and have ongoing support as we work towards each new milestone in development. I am thrilled to have these services available to us. I am quite familiar with IDP as I worked very closely with them when I worked in the field, but of course for our family and our circumstance this is still uncharted territory.

We are happy to report that Karter is still maintaining all the new things he is learning. As you recall, before surgery, he would learn to do something and then forget for weeks and have to re-learn each thing. Since surgery, each new thing he has learned, he retains. I find myself resting more easy when his nap time comes around because I know when he wakes he will still be able do the same things he was doing before his sleep.

This past week we have been very successful with the introduction of texture while feeding. You may remember that I mentioned that Karter would gag to the point of vomiting if anything went in his mouth that was not warm or smooth. This past week we have successfully introduced grated cheese at lunch, rice at dinner and oatmeal at breaskfast. He even seems to have a great interest in food now. We have also been successful with the introduction of a sippy cup, my hope is to have him off the bottle by 1 year. Also, we are switching from formula to milk over the next week. So we are defiantly making some progress in the area of feeding.

There has been small progress in motor skills. Karter is still rolling from his tummy to his back. This past weekend he has started, while on his back, to use his feet to move him around his blanket on the floor. He is also rolling to his side more often and trying at times to get from his side to his back. Our prayer is that he can roll both ways by his birthday. He is still lacking control over his left arm and is not really grasping or grabbing objects yet, but as each week passes, he seems to become more aware of his hands and what they do, so hopefully it won't be long now.

Other than that, the stitches are completely gone, the hair has really begun growing and the scar is almost unnoticable. This month has flown by so fast, looking back at what I have written it seems we could say he has come quite a ways since May 18th.

Please continue to keep Karter and us in your prayers. 1-that Karter's motor skills would come along rapidly. We have our first post surgery appointment at Children's Hospital August 1st, I want the surgeon and neurologist to be astounded by Karter's progress. 2Karter seems to be coming down with a cold, please pray that it will pass quickly and not attack his lungs as it has in the past. 3-If you could continue to uphold me in your prayers too. I continue to struggle daily with the anxieties of Karter's development. Because I am the one to work with and rehab him each day and because I see him every step of the way, it is hard for me not to think about where he is and get anxious about the speed and pace of his recovery. At times, I think I can drive myself a bit insane with worry. It is at those times I have to lay it at the cross yet again. Some days, it is twenty times...So please pray for continued peace and the reassurance.

No comments: